In a span of a week-and-a-half between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I used up 25 pounds of all-purpose flour. It was a lot of baking. So for the next six months I will try to focus on healthy cooking. I have already started making non-sandwich (and meatless) type lunch for my family since school resumed. This barley with tomatoes and greens recipe is not fancy but it is filling, full of vitamins and all that other good stuff. I recommend prepping and cooking the night before, and then combine cooked/prepped ingredients together the next morning for lunch.
- 158 grams (1 cup) barley
- 454 grams (16 ounces) organic cherry tomatoes, washed
- 284 grams (10 ounces) organic kale
- 15 millilitres (1 tablespoon) Myer lemon juice
- 75 milliliters (5 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil ( 45 ml or 3 tablespoons for dressing; 30 ml or 2 tablespoons for cooking)
- salt/pepper season to taste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- To Cook barley: in a medium pot with lid, add in washed barley and 709 millilitres (3 cups)of cold water to the pot. Cover with lid. Bring water to a boil and let it cook for 5 minutes. Turn down heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 25 minutes (or longer if necessary. If liquid has evaporated before barley is cooked just add some more water and continue cooking in low heat). You can also follow the direction on the package.
- To Saute Kale: Set a large sauté pan over medium-high heat for a minute. Add in 30ml oil to the hot pan. Wait for several seconds and add in kale. Toss the kale occasionally to keep from burning (add a table of water if necessary) and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. season to taste.
- To make vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, add in lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, olive oil. Whisk to blend all ingredients together until creamy.
- To serve: In a large salad (mixing) bowl, add all ingredients together. Add vinaigrette. Combine contents until all are coated with dressing. Additional seasoning if desired.
This makes perfect healthy bento lunch.