Masala Chai is a common spiced drink in India. Of course you can get Chai from your local corner cafe or premixed Chai packages from the store, but how can these compare to authentic, homemade Chai brewed right from your own kitchen? It is not that complicated you know. Once you brew your own cup, you will not drink store bought chai again…unless, you don’t have access to your kitchen.
Just thinking about the splendid mix of cardamom, cloves, spicy ginger, and cinnamon can almost melt away a hectic day. I love these aromas, and I am glad I learned how to make my own Chai. Over the years, I have shared many cups of home-brewed Chai with friends from India. Every household brews its Chai slightly differently, and I like all of them. I have shared enough cups of Chai with friends that I personalized my own concoction.
Now I am going to share with you my version of masala Chai; a little stronger and spicier than what most of my friends make. I encourage you to experiment with the spices, adjusting the flavor to your liking and eventually coming up with your own version to share with friends. But remember! Use plain black tea bags if you cannot find loose leaf black Indian tea. Do not use green tea.
- 5 to 10 slices of fresh ginger (thinly peel using peeler)
- 3 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of loose leaf black Indian tea
- 591 ml (20 oz) water
- 15 ml (.5 oz) half-and-half cream
- sugar to taste
- Place all the spices in a pestle and mortar and roughly crush them.
- In a small saucepan, add in the water, ginger, and spices.
- Bring it all to a boil over medium high heat then reduce heat to medium low and let it simmers for 3 minutes.
- Add in the tea to the spice mixture, continue to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in cream and boil for another minute, then add sugar to taste.
- Strain off the grounds with a fine strainer into a teapot or cups and serve.
- Traditionally, after straining off the grounds, you would pour the tea from one pitcher to another back and forth until froth is formed, then serve.
Serve immediately with your favorite sweets.